Tuesday 25 May 2010

Eating my way through 6 states

We are still in Moab, checking out tomorrow to unknown territory again. Hoping to stay in Cortez and visit Mesa Verde National Park.  We are a bit worried about this though, because we actually hit hurdles in our obstacle course last night when we arrived in Moab and hope it does not happen again! 

I already mentioned that it was quite a journey from Las Vegas to Moab. The reason we put ourselves through that torture was to have a good starting point. We had no reservations booked and did not anticipate this to be a problem, it never has been before. However, two major problems: we forgot the time change so we got into Moab around 7 instead of 6. This is quite late to find a room. And we never realized this was such a popular area. There is so much to do here, hike, whitewater raft, rock climb, jeeping and many other really fun things. So the place is absolutely booming with people! We went to every single hotel in Moab. It was getting really scary because Moab is not close to anywhere and we would have real problems. The very last one had two rooms and we grabbed them for 2 nights!



It is sheer heaven to stay on one place for two whole days!

Today we went to Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park. We saw lots and lots of rock formations and pretty desert flowers.  Sadly I was really not in the mood to enjoy the beauty of the area.  I think yesterday's trip just took the energy away for awhile.
Alan and I at the Arches National Park

Another arch


This prickly pear was in Canyonlands, the ones blooming at the Arches were yellow!


However, I am still enjoying my food! When we were in San Fransisco, I saw another of Mark Twain's sayings: "A cauliflower is nothing but a cabbage with a college education".

I realized last night that I am probably ruined for life about pizza.  On our last night in San Fransisco, after the night loop bus tour, when we were chilled to the bone because we sat on the top wrapped in Ikea blankets, we were really hungry.  We stopped at the first place we saw, which did not look very impressive. Ordered pizza and a pitcher of beer.  That was such a wonderful pizza! I did not know how that pizza would change my life though until I ate pizza again last night. I now know it will be a long time til I eat pizza again. I will have to wait for the memory of pizza perfection to fade!  I have no idea what the name of the place is though.

This morning, Alan and I decided to just eat the fruit we bought, it was perfect.  We have really been eating too much.  then we went on the journey to the canyons and ended up missing lunch!  Not good. But we ate at the Moab Brewery tonight and that made up for it.  I had hot cheese soup and a stuffed potato.  It was really good!

It is also much warmer now, thank goodness!  The temperatures got up to 70 degrees.  And it felt wonderful!

Tomorrow is another day and another town, don't know if we will have internet access, but if we do, I will try to keep this blog up.  I am actually enjoying doing this and hope it is enjoyable to read!




1 comment:

  1. You are being followed... Yes, it is enjoyable! ; )

    ReplyDelete